Google Adwords gives web site owners the ability to promote their site when particular keyword or phrase searches are conducted at Google and partner sites. Your ads appear at the top or on the right side of search results pages in a "call out" box under the heading "Sponsored Links". Your AdWords text, image or video ads appear on search result pages for the keywords you buy, and can be targeted by language and country.
With Google AdWords cost-per-click (CPC) pricing, you pay only when a customer clicks on your ad, regardless of how many times it's shown. Google adjusts your bids automatically to keep you ahead of your competition at the lowest possible price. Google AdWords results appear on Google search results pages, Google's distribution partner sites, Google Gmail, and numerous content sites which are syndicated through the Google AdSense program.
The growth of the search industry worldwide has created a huge market for paid search advertising and most search engines and directories now have some type of Pay For Performance or Pay Per Click (PPC) element to them.
Pay Per Click advertising:
- Enables webmasters to target geographical and niche markets more precisely via specific search queries.
- Enables webmasters to have their page URL displayed at the top of the search engine results pages without having to figure out complex search engine algorithms or pay an SEO expert to tweak their site for higher rankings.
- Enables webmasters to receive new traffic instantly.
- Enables a website or offline store to be found by search engine users even if no site exists or the site is not search engine compatible.
- Enables small businesses to operate globally and compete on an equal footing with much larger competitors.
- Enables instant sales and more measurable ROI via conversion tracking.
- Enables more precise visitor pathways to be plotted (e.g. by leading visitors to specific landing pages).
- Enables campaigns to be switched on and off on-demand to meet specific needs, search trends or specific events (e.g. Christmas sale)